четвер, 3 грудня 2015 р.

Словник PHRASAL VERBS

get up
вставати, прокидатися
I got up and walked over to where he was.
They have to get up early in the morning.

get on
робити успіхи, старіти
How is he getting on?
How did you get on? - I think I got the job
I'm nearly 31 and that's getting on a bit for a footballer.
When he came back to see me I asked how he had got on.

to get on smb.'s nerves
діяти комусь на нерви

get over
справлятися, одужувати, переживати, переборювати
It took me a very long time to get over the shock of her death.
How would they get over that problem, he wondered?

get over the difficulty
get over with
впоратися з труднощами
The sooner we start, the sooner we'll get it over with.

get off
залишати(іти),покидати, іти геть,забирайся
I kept telling him to get off... `Get off me!' I screamed.
We must be getting off now.
At eight I said `I'm getting off now.'

get along with smb
get along without smth
спілкуватися, терпіти когось
обходитися без чогось

Does he get along with his mother-in-law?
It's impossible to get along with him...
           They seemed to be getting along fine.
You can't get along without water...

    get into
бути захопленим, вступити, вселятися
He was eager to get into politics.
I was working hard to get into Cambridge.
What has got into you today? Why are you behaving like this?

run away
тікати, уникати, одружуватись
He was so unhappy that he tried to run away from school.
We can't run away from the facts
I ran away from home when I was sixteen...
After his beating Colin ran away and hasn't been heard of since...
They run away from the problem, hoping it will disappear of its own accord...
You can't run away for ever.
She ran away with a man called McTavish last year...
He and I were always planning to run away together.

run in
додавати,арештовувати
We can run in a sentence about the politician's recent death.
You've no cause to run me in, I've done nothing!

run out
вичерпуватися, закінчуватися, залишати, втрачати

run out of disk space
выходить за пределы ёмкости диска
to run out of juice
истощить всю энергию, перестать работать
The contract runs out next week.
I've run out of coffee.
They have run out of ideas...
We had lots before but now we've run out.
You can't run out on your family at a time like this.

run over
виходити за межі, збити, переїхати
You can always run him over and make it look like an accident...
 He ran over a six-year-old child as he was driving back from a party.
We've tried to keep the cost of the repairs in the original sum, but we may run over by a few pounds. — Мы пытались сделать так, чтобы стоимость ремонта не была больше исходной суммы, но всё же мы немного превысили её.


take after
бути схожим
Ted's always been difficult, Mr Kemp–he takes after his dad.

take off
позбавлятися чогось
to take off one's clothes — раздеваться
to take off one's coat — снимать пальто
He wouldn't take his hat off...
She took off her spectacles.

take into account
to take into consideration
брати до увага

take away
забирати, прибирати зі столу,

You may take away.
He took away the key.
Please don't take your hand away, it makes me think that you don't like me.
`Give me the knife,' he said softly, `or I'll take it away from you.'...
  In prison they'd taken away his watch and everything he possessed.

turn out
вивертати, показувати, виганяти (of) , звільняти
to turn out one's pockets

turn on/off
вмикати, вимикати(світло, радіо, воду, газ)
I want to turn on the television...
She asked them why they hadn't turned the lights on.
The light's a bit too harsh. You can turn it off...
I have to get up and turn off the radio...

    turn around
відродити, підійти з іншого боку, змінити
Turning the company around won't be easy...
If the economy turned round the Prime Minister's authority would quickly increase.

turn over
перевернути, перегорнути
Liz picked up the blue envelope and turned it over curiously...
I don't suppose you thought to turn over the tape, did you?...
Ann turned over in her bed once more.


turn over in one's grave
перевернутися в могилі
Shakespeare would turn in his grave if he saw this production of Hamlet. — Шекспир бы в гробу перевернулся, если бы увидел эту постановку "Гамлета".

turn into
перетворювати, міняти на шось
A prince turns into a frog in this cartoon fairytale...

look for
шукати
I'm looking for a child. I believe your husband can help me find her...
 I had gone to Maine looking for a place to work...

look after
турбуватися, піклуватися
I love looking after the children...
 People don't look after other people's property in the same way as they look after their own.

look forward to
чекати з нетерпінням
He was looking forward to working with the new Prime Minister.
Motor traders are looking forward to a further increase in vehicle sales.

put on
одягати
He put his coat on hurriedly and ran out of the house.

put off
виключати світло, відкладати, преносити
Please put off all the lights as you leave the building.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
Women who put off having a baby often make the best mothers...

put up
будувати,вішати оголошення, ставити пьєсу
Do you know how to put up a tent?
You are not allowed to put up advertisements on this wall without special permission.
Next year we shall put up "King Lear".
They're putting new street signs up...

The teacher training college put up a plaque to the college's founder.

Немає коментарів:

Дописати коментар